Mission Statement: The mission of Sexual Trauma Awareness & Response® (STAR®) is to support survivors of sexual trauma, improve systems response, and create social change to end sexual violence.
Position Summary: The Resource Advocate performs a variety of duties involved in providing support and advocacy for the rights and protection of survivors of sexual trauma and their loved ones. The Resource Advocate is responsible for the assessment of the individual survivor’s needs and works with community resources to fulfill needs which may include shelter, counseling, referrals, food, property return, and general advocacy and support. The Resource Advocate assists with the daily operations of advocacy services and ensures that all data and client documentation is appropriately maintained. The Resource Advocate also assists with agency outreach by participating in tabling events, serving on panels, attending community events, and providing STAR 101 workshops to community members.
Classification: 40 hours/week (Full-time/Non-exempt)
Reports to: Advocacy Directors
Supervises: Advocacy Interns (as requested)
Salary and Benefits: Base pay range $19.00 per hour (annual gross wages $39,520); additional compensation will depend on education, knowledge, and experience. $100 stipend for each backup shift.
Our benefits include:
● Paid Time Off (PTO) and Extended Leave Bank (ELB): Full-time employees will receive 8 hours of PTO and 2 hours of ELB each pay period, which accumulates to 24 days of PTO and 6 days of ELB annually. These benefits can be used for personal and medical leave.
● Paid Holidays: We offer 15 paid holidays throughout the year, including Mardi Gras.
● Health Care Coverage: Full-time employees are eligible for health care coverage after two full calendar months of employment. Our comprehensive coverage includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana. STAR covers 70% of your monthly premium. Additionally, STAR contributes annually to the Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) to help cover medical expenses applied to an employee's Blue Cross Blue Shield deductible.
● Group Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance: STAR pays 100% of the employee-only premium for all full-time employees, providing coverage for Life and AD&D insurance up to $25,000.
● Professional Development Support: We value the growth and development of our employees. Therefore, STAR reimburses costs associated with professional licensure expenses. Additionally, STAR provides 32 hours of work time for professional development training each year.
● Mileage and Travel Reimbursement: Employees receive mileage and travel reimbursement for work-related travel each month at the Louisiana State Mileage Rate. We understand the importance of compensating you for your business-related expenses.
● Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Our EAP provides free short-term therapy and support to employees and their loved ones, ensuring access to mental health resources when needed.
● Retirement Program: Employees have the opportunity to enroll in our 403b retirement program through Mutual of America. This program enables you to save for your future and plan for a comfortable retirement.
Please note that the benefits mentioned above are subject to eligibility criteria, terms, and conditions outlined in the company's benefits policy.
In order to provide a comprehensive understanding of this position, this description categorizes tasks by their function on a daily, weekly, monthly, etc. basis. Tasks may be added or omitted as the organization’s funding or priorities change. Position duties are reviewed and updated as needed with the employee and supervisor at least annually.
● Clock-in and clock-out using the organization’s online timekeeping system
● Transfer the hotline (morning and evening)
● Answer STAR’s hotline, business line, and office door during business hours
● Review hotline and hospital reports (as needed)
● Provide advocacy services to clients
● Complete client documentation
● Check in with Advocacy Director about coverage
● Provide follow up to clients
● Ensure all client documents are scanned and attached to appropriate client file
● Provide support to volunteers and PTMAs (as needed)
● Participate in weekly team meetings
● Update volunteer calendar with hotline/hospital advocacy coverage as needed
● Provide backup coverage as scheduled
● Submit signed timecard to supervisor
● Participate in 1-1 with Advocacy Director
● Participate in agency-wide staff meetings
● Submit end of month forms (time and effort, mileage, reimbursement, etc.)
● Participate in SART meetings
● Participate in community partner meetings
● Participate in performance review with supervisor
● Assist with policy and procedure revision as requested
● Submit continuing education log
● Respond to hospital call outs during business hours
● Conduct community outreach and training as requested
○ STAR 101 presentations
○ Attend tabling events, community events, and/or STAR fundraisers
○ Conduct ‘Role of an Advocate’ presentation to hospitals and law enforcement
○ Facilitate Sexual Trauma 101 Training
○ Facilitate other trainings, as needed
● Submit a In-Kind Donation Formfor all in-kind donations received
● Submit a donor prospect name through the Donor Prospect Form
● Complete New Strategy Proposals
● Submit mandated reports to DCFS and/or law enforcement per Louisiana law
● Provide support and/or disciplinary action to volunteers
● Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned
Qualifications for this Position
The following are the minimum requirements for this position.
● You have a Bachelor’s degree or one-year of experience providing direct crisis intervention and/or survivor advocacy with knowledge of the criminal justice field.
● You understand the demands of providing advocacy services to survivors of sexual trauma through phone support and in-person support.
● You are able to travel throughout STAR’s service area.
● You are available to take after-hours calls and respond to requests from volunteers and community partners as part of the organization’s backup rotation to maintain 24/7 coverage for our hotline and hospital accompaniment services.
Requirements for all Positions at STAR
STAR expects the following qualities for the members of our team.
● You are committed to carrying out STAR’s mission, vision and philosophy.
● You adhere to STAR’s core values, policies and procedures.
● You value differences, recognizing that different perspectives and cultural diversity make the world a better place to be.
● You uphold the highest ethical standards and respect for confidentiality.
● You communicate effectively, problem solve, and work well with people from diverse backgrounds.
● You know how to secure and deploy resources both effectively and efficiently.
● You build strong relationships, and you deliver effective client and survivor-centric solutions.
● You have strong writing skills and maintain quality documentation free of grammatical and spelling errors.
● You display professionalism with clients and co-workers.
● You take care of yourself by knowing your personal limitations, communicating your needs to others, and asking for help when needed.
● You can handle multiple tasks simultaneously and have excellent organizational skills.
● You can identify and respond to shifting priorities.
● You are committed to learning and growing both professionally and personally.
● You consent to and successfully complete a full background investigation, which includes a criminal history check and fingerprinting.
● You have completed, or will complete in the first year of employment, a mandatory 40 hours of sexual violence training; plus 20 hours of continuing education/training annually.
● You have a valid driver’s license and a working, insured vehicle at the time of appointment.
Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, weight, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. All employment decisions shall be consistent with the principles of equal opportunity employment. Accommodations to enable all individuals to participate in the application process may be provided upon advance request.